Saturday, April 2, 2011

Spring Morning

Often, as I'm on my way to start painting, I find myself thinking that I won't find anything to paint. And I'm wrong every time. Today, it was a single tree, to the left of yesterday's poplars, that caught the morning sun and looked like a jewel on the horizon. I changed the scene a bit - there are actually dark trees behind this tree, but I preferred the image of it against the sky. This painting was done on top of a previous painting, the one done on Feb 21. That was just looking like it was never going to get any better, so it's been reincarnated. I do love painting over old work. All those old subjects, They become just spots of color, and suggest things I might never have thought of otherwise.

The color in this photo is not quite the color of the painting. The sky is lighter at the horizon, and not quite so light at the top, and that dark area to the right of the tree just isn't there in the painting. Arrgghhh... Some day I have to find a better place to photo paintings...

2 comments:

  1. I like this one especially; the sky and clouds are a good foil for the tree and field.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't see your comments until after I had changed it. Hope you like the new version too.

    ReplyDelete