Saturday, March 12, 2011

Rain, Wind, More Wind

No sunshine today. We woke to mist and drizzle and whistling wind. A very good day to have a lovely terrace for shelter while painting. I'm still feeling my way around in oils, sometimes using thicker paint, sometimes going back to thinner, even doing finger painting - because sometimes a brush just doesn't work. I painted this around 9 in the morning. It's now 8PM and the wind is just starting to quiet down. I have to admit that I find these windy and rainy days much more interesting to paint than sunny days.


2 comments:

  1. I really like these, Ellie. You're going to have quite a lovely series for a show somewhere. What size are they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! They're all small - the square ones are 8 x 8 (inches) and todays is 5 x 7. My plan was to do a good number of these small paintings, and then scale some of them up. But I find I'm wanting to work larger, which means I have to rearrange things a bit on the terrace, which is about 4 x 10 feet. Not room for a full size easel, but maybe if I work in just slightly larger sizes - 18x18, something like that - I can use my larger pochade box (Thank you Stevie! http://www.all-in-oneeasel.com/) for that size canvas.

    No painting today - we had friends over for lunch and spent the day first cooking and then dining and chatting. A lovely way to spend the day!

    ReplyDelete