Friday, March 11, 2011

Morning in Nojals


Back to painting today. There was a lovely sunrise, with just a bit of mist hanging over the fields. Great inspiration. Here's the first painting.
This painting pretty well mirrors the colors as I saw them. I was intrigued with the grey color of the houses, the color and the mist making everything look soft and mysterious.









This second painting is in a way an accident, a surprise. When I had finished the first painting, I started to use up the rest of the paint on my palette just to tone a canvas. Well, it was so much fun I had to turn it into another painting!
In both of these paintings, I'm working more like the way I work in acrylics, in thin layers of color, each merging into the layer beneath it. I do love the look of thick, lush oil paint but somehow my hand just keeps doing something else. And I prefer this more abstract approach to landscape. The actual details of a scene aren't usually what makes it appealing to me. It's the interplay of color and shapes that fascinates me. I suppose I might as well go with it, huh?

1 comment:

  1. Very nice, Ellie! Yes, you might as well go with it; it's working well for you!

    ReplyDelete