Monday, February 21, 2011

View from my window, Feb 18

Again, the view from our little sun terrace, but in quite a different style than yesterday's. I'm experimenting with using thicker paint, so consider the next few paintings experimental (It's the kindest thing I can say about them!) This one was painted on a mostly sunny day. The painting experience was like something out of slapstick comedy. I had realized yesterday that the cup I was using for water (I'm using water-mixable oils) was not working. It was one of those collapsible plastic cups that have the benefit of not taking up very much room in your painting kit. They also have the odd quirk of sometimes collapsing while you are using them, spilling water all over. So, scratch those off the plein air kit list. Do today I used a ceramic cup, which lasted until I accidentally hit it and smashed it on the floor - luckily I waited only about two minutes before having this klutzy attack, so there was not yet any paint on the water that spread all over the floor tiles. And when I dropped a fully loaded brush about two minutes later I was able to wipe up the paint before it dried. I think being in painting mode puts me into klutz mode as well. Is that a good excuse???

No comments:

Post a Comment